Gluten Free Nutritionally Dense and Flavorful Ragi Cookies - See Video link for details
The first step is to bring the butter to the right temperature. We want solid butter but not too hard or melting. What i mean here is the butter should not be too soft ( liquid) nor it should be too cold . You can take out the butter around 15 to 20 minutes before the preparation (Actual time will depend upon the temperatures in your area- see notes) .
Ground flax seeds using mixer and measure 1/8 tsp of it , add water 1/4 tsp mix and keep aside. This will thicken in a few minutes and will become ready for use.
In a bowl, mix finger millet flour/ Ragi flour, Cocoa powder, Cornflour, baking powder and salt.
In another bowl, whisk / beat butter with powdered brown sugar for a 40 seconds using a wooden spatula / hand whisk till the mixture looks homogeneous. We do not want to incorporate any air nor we want the butter to melt further. Mix in Vanilla extract.
Add in flax egg and mix just once.
Now add dry flour mix to the wet ingredients. Use hands to form a ball.
Take a silicon mat or parchment paper and flatten the ball of dough. Sprinkle some cocoa powder or dry flour if required.
Roll slightly using rolling pin or flatten using hands and make a rectangle with even thickness.
Using cookie cutter, cut the cookies into desired shape or using sharp knife make rectangular shaped cookies. Repeat the process with leftover dough.
Lined a baking tray with parchment paper or grease lightly. Place the cut out cookies on the tray. Keep some space between the cookies as these will spread while baking.
Prick the cookies using toothpick .
Cover and place in freezer for 20 minutes to chill or half an hour in refrigerator.
Preheat oven at 170 degree Celsius for 15 minutes ( both rods on or convention mode)
Transfer the chilled Cookie tray straight into the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes. These cookies will spread in the oven so keep an eye on them. ( See notes)
Once the cracks appear and they are darker around the edges remove from the oven .
Let this sit on the tray for 5 minutes then transfer on a wire rack for cooling. Store in air tight container. These stay good for 4 days.
1. Replace brown sugar with powdered(pulsed) jaggery powder- but make it fine before using.
2 . Add Whole Wheat Flour in place of Cornflour if not gluten sensitive .
3.Cocoa is added for flavour , if you want to substitute it , use equal amount of any other flour along with any flavouring agent like cinnamon , cardamom to your dough .
4. If it is too hot in your area and butter starts to melt before it is beaten, place in refrigerator for a couple of minutes and then beat it with sweetener.
5. Wet your fingers with little water or milk to sooth the cookie dough while flattening it or rolling it if you want to make the top smooth.
6. Since it uses large amount of butter, chilling the cookie dough is extremely important. You can make dough, cover and refrigerate and then cut the cookies and bake. But cookies should be cold before baking. I made half batch with 20 minutes chilling time . Rest refrigerated and used after 24 hours. Both taste great. The 24 hours rested cookies spread less in the oven.
7. Once you put your cookies for baking , please check after 8 minutes if cookies are spreading much then place the tray again in fridge to chill for 10 minutes and bake again.